Clásico: Barcelona to host Real Madrid on 18 December - RFEF
The Clásico will be played on the date the clubs prefer despite LaLiga's arguments to the contrary - although Javier Tebas is expected to appeal.
The Spanish Football Federation's (RFEF) Competition Committee has informed all parties that the postponed Clásico between Barcelona and Real Madrid will be played on 18 December at Camp Nou, as the clubs had requested, thwarting the designs of LaLiga chief Javier Tebas to move the match to either 4 or 7 December.
The committee was due to make a decision on Monday but Tebas presented fresh arguments in favour of LaLiga’s preferred dates. However, the proposal was given short shrift by the panel, who voted two-to-one in favour of the date Barcelona and Real Madrid had already agreed to.
The game was moved to due to civil unrest in the Catalonia region after the Spanish Supreme Court jailed prominent Catalan political figures for their part in a referendum and subsequent unilateral declaration of independence in 2017. After nights of rioting and clashes with security forces, it was decided the game should be rearranged. LaLiga had originally proposed moving the 26 October fixture to the Bernabéu, but neither club was happy with that arrangement and asked instead for a change of date.
LaLiga chief Tebas to appeal decision
That was the main reasoning behind the RFEF’s ruling, with Liga sources pointing out that although Tebas later suggested moving the match to 4 December, he had previously “only asked the competition committee for a change of venue, not a change of date.”
The tug-of-war may yet have another round to go with LaLiga expected to appeal to the higher authority of the Superior Sports Council and more than ready to drag the matter though the courts. Tebas argues that 18 December already has Copa del Rey fixtures scheduled – as well as European champion Liverpool’s Club World Cup semifinal – and that staging the game on that date will not only devalue the domestic cup but could also negatively impact on the overall economic value of the Clásico.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What is Walmart's buy now, pay later program? Why is the layaway program discarded?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- NFL | JAGUARS Jags QB Lawrence vows not to 'play timid' after throwing seven interceptions
- NFL | BUCS Brady demands Bucs learn from Rams defeat
- Rodgers convinced last-gasp turnaround gives Packers 'legitimacy' as Super Bowl contenders