Isco risks disappearing into the shadows
The Benalmadena born player has only started two games this season and has fallen down the pecking order for head coach Zinedine Zidane.
Much time has passed since Zinedine Zidane's first press conference upon being unveiled as Real Madrid coach in 2016 when the Frenchman stated: “Isco and James are two key and excellent players, let's see how we can get the best from them”. 60 days remain before the fourth anniversary of that first press conference and the two players singled out by the French coach have enjoyed varied fortunes in the intervening time. James is currently recovering from injury in his first season back from loan with Bayern with Isco seemingly well down the pecking order for Zidane.
Isco bench warmer
Isco did miss the start of the 2019-20 campaign with a hamstring problem and to date has just been involved in 186 minutes of LaLiga action over five appearances with no game time yet in the Champions League. The midfielder started in the home game against Valladolid at the Bernabéu (1-1) and in the away defeat to Mallorca in Son Moix (a 1-0 win for the island based side) and came on from the bench in the matches against Celta, Granada and Leganés). The Benalmadena born player was again on the bench in Saturday's home game against Real Betis.
The Spanish international delivered discreet performances in both his starts against Valladolid and especially away to Mallorca and he was given brief game time last Wednesday with Real Madrid cruising 4-0 against Leganés. This Wednesday, Real Madrid face Galatasaray in match-day four of the current Champions League group stage with a positive display for Isco should playing time arise imperative for the player with many fearing that his current trajectory could see 27-year-old becoming a forgotten man.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid open to offers for Raphaël Varane
- Inter Milan Lautaro: "Barcelona is in the past, I’m staying at Inter"
- GOLF Tiger Woods "in good spirits" in hospital after follow-up procedures
- NBA LeBron James hits back at 'hypocrite' Ibrahimovic: "I'll never shut up about things that are wrong"
- NBA LeBron helps Lakers snap losing streak, Butler stars for Heat
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, $1.9 trillion bill passed | Live