Clausura 2020: Atlas snatch late winner to serve Cruz Azul opening day defeat
Ignacio Jeraldino scored a late winner as Atlas beat Cruz Azul 1-2 in the first week of the Mexican championship to take up third place in the table.
However it was Cruz Azul who were ahead first - they took an early lead through Elías Hernández on 16 minutes but by the half hour, they were down to 10 men after Orbelin Pineda was sent off. Atlas made the most of their numerical advantage with Ángel Castañeda levelling the score just before half-time and Ignacio Jeraldino finding a late winner on 87 minutes.
The attendance was disappointing for Cruz Azul with just 500 fans showing up at the Aztec for the opening game of the season. Cruz Azul have not won the title since 1997 - a distant memory for the fans. The team are back in action on Friday - away from home this time, as guests of Atlético San Luis.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGA MX Club América retain second place after victory against Tigres UANL
- Real Madrid 2-1 Barcelona Real Madrid: Benzema matches Cristiano Ronaldo scoring run
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA El Clásico: "Mendy fouled Braithwaite, it's a penalty" - Iturralde
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA Piqué confronts Gil Manzano, Modric ticks him off: "You've been waiting just to have a go at the ref"
- BARCELONA Barcelona still optimistic about title hopes despite Real Madrid defeat, says Koeman
- COVID-19 VACCINATION Publix Vaccine: how to sign up and get an appointment