Clausura 2020: Atlas snatch late winner to serve Cruz Azul opening day defeat
Ignacio Jeraldino scored a late winner as Atlas beat Cruz Azul 1-2 in the first week of the Mexican championship to take up third place in the table.
However it was Cruz Azul who were ahead first - they took an early lead through Elías Hernández on 16 minutes but by the half hour, they were down to 10 men after Orbelin Pineda was sent off. Atlas made the most of their numerical advantage with Ángel Castañeda levelling the score just before half-time and Ignacio Jeraldino finding a late winner on 87 minutes.
The attendance was disappointing for Cruz Azul with just 500 fans showing up at the Aztec for the opening game of the season. Cruz Azul have not won the title since 1997 - a distant memory for the fans. The team are back in action on Friday - away from home this time, as guests of Atlético San Luis.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side