Clausura 2020: Atlas snatch late winner to serve Cruz Azul opening day defeat
Ignacio Jeraldino scored a late winner as Atlas beat Cruz Azul 1-2 in the first week of the Mexican championship to take up third place in the table.
However it was Cruz Azul who were ahead first - they took an early lead through Elías Hernández on 16 minutes but by the half hour, they were down to 10 men after Orbelin Pineda was sent off. Atlas made the most of their numerical advantage with Ángel Castañeda levelling the score just before half-time and Ignacio Jeraldino finding a late winner on 87 minutes.
The attendance was disappointing for Cruz Azul with just 500 fans showing up at the Aztec for the opening game of the season. Cruz Azul have not won the title since 1997 - a distant memory for the fans. The team are back in action on Friday - away from home this time, as guests of Atlético San Luis.
Recommended in English
- GLOBAL NEWS How much money has baby shark made?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Francisco Gento, ‘The Gale of the Cantabrian Sea’
- NFL Seahawks fire defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr.
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team