Barcelona contact Pochettino after Koeman rejects role
The Dutch national team manager has reportedly said no to replacing Ernesto Valverde in the short term, and an interim option may be the way forward.
Barcelona's search for a manager to fill the shoes of the much-maligned Ernesto Valverde for the remainder of the season is proving to be a challenge. After Xavi Hernández chose not to make the move that he called "his dream", now another club legend has turned them down.
Koeman and Xavi say no to Barcelona
According to a report on Catalunya Ràdio, journalist Lluís Canut has stated that the Dutch coach has rejected the possibility of joining the Camp Nou club, certainly in the short term.
Apparently Koeman was surprised to receive the call from Barça, said Canut, although he will have been more than aware of the pressure growing over Valverde's position. The Dutchman has an escape clause written into his contract from the national team that will allow him to go to Barcelona, however, it can only be activated after the European Championships this summer.
With Koeman and Xavi ruling themselves out of the role for the moment, the board are still on the lookout for a new coach. One viable option is a promotion of Garcia Pimienta. The current Barça B manager is being seriously considered as interim boss till the summer.
A surprise story breaking on Sunday evening was that Mauricio Pochettino has also been contacted over the still not vacant role in the Barça dugout. Catalan radio station RAC1 reported that the former Spurs and Espanyol manager is a bet Bartomeu is willing to take.
Previous comments from the Argentine would suggest otherwise, but feelings do change.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Orlando City terminate Jonathan Suárez's contract
- BARCELONA Barçagate: Which Barcelona players were affected by the I3 Ventures social media posts?
- SERIE A Pirlo: Juventus haven't given up hope of winning Serie A
- Qatar 2022 Al Thumama stadium nearly ready for FIFA World Cup 2022
- NBA LeBron James talks Lakers' rhythm without Anthony Davis
- NBA Curry on losing to LeBron: Teams remember the past six years and want to beat us bad!