Barcelona contact Pochettino after Koeman rejects role
The Dutch national team manager has reportedly said no to replacing Ernesto Valverde in the short term, and an interim option may be the way forward.
Barcelona's search for a manager to fill the shoes of the much-maligned Ernesto Valverde for the remainder of the season is proving to be a challenge. After Xavi Hernández chose not to make the move that he called "his dream", now another club legend has turned them down.
Koeman and Xavi say no to Barcelona
According to a report on Catalunya Ràdio, journalist Lluís Canut has stated that the Dutch coach has rejected the possibility of joining the Camp Nou club, certainly in the short term.
Apparently Koeman was surprised to receive the call from Barça, said Canut, although he will have been more than aware of the pressure growing over Valverde's position. The Dutchman has an escape clause written into his contract from the national team that will allow him to go to Barcelona, however, it can only be activated after the European Championships this summer.
With Koeman and Xavi ruling themselves out of the role for the moment, the board are still on the lookout for a new coach. One viable option is a promotion of Garcia Pimienta. The current Barça B manager is being seriously considered as interim boss till the summer.
A surprise story breaking on Sunday evening was that Mauricio Pochettino has also been contacted over the still not vacant role in the Barça dugout. Catalan radio station RAC1 reported that the former Spurs and Espanyol manager is a bet Bartomeu is willing to take.
Previous comments from the Argentine would suggest otherwise, but feelings do change.
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Cristiano Ronaldo looking to achieve goal-scoring holy grail
- MLS MLS is back tournament changes as players test positive for coronavirus
- PREMIER LEAGUE Leicester City player ratings vs Arsenal
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- ATLÉTICO Atlético Madrid's stadium finally demolished: The last days of the Vicente Calderón