Real Madrid: Sevilla to give Super Cup winners guard of honour
Sevilla are to pay tribute to Real Madrid's Spanish Super Cup victory when the sides meet in LaLiga this weekend.
Sevilla will give Real Madrid a guard of honour before the sides' LaLiga clash this weekend, in the wake of Los Blancos' Spanish Super Cup win last Sunday.
Sevilla repay Real Madrid gesture after 2006 UEFA Cup win
Sevilla's decision to pay tribute to Madrid's Super Cup triumph, claimed 4-1 on penalties after a goalless final draw with Atlético Madrid, sees the Andalusians return the gesture offered to them by the Spanish capital club 14 years ago.
Six days after Sevilla's 4-0 UEFA Cup final victory over Middlesbrough in May 2006, Madrid gave Juande Ramos' side a guard of honour before a LaLiga clash at the Estadio Ramón Sánchez-Pizjuán.
Sevilla coach Lopetegui returns to Bernabéu
In a game that sees ex-Bernabéu coach Julen Lopetegui return to face his former club, fourth-placed Sevilla visit Madrid in LaLiga week 20 on Saturday (16:00 CET) sitting five points behind their hosts, who are tied on 40 points with leaders Barcelona.
Sevilla follow Villarreal's Real guard of honour last January
Last January, Villarreal also commemorated a mid-season Real Madrid trophy triumph, lining up to applaud Los Merengues after their 2018 Club World Cup win in the United Arab Emirates two weeks earlier (see top picture).
Recommended in English
- TENNIS Osaka gives up AO crown: 'This is the biggest step, even though I lost'
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Nothing quite beats single leg cup football
- NFL NFL playoffs: Rams must score big to beat Brady and Bucs, says Stafford
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea under Thomas Tuchel: a year on
- QATAR 2022 World Cup Qatar 2022, African Qualifiers play-off draw: how and where to watch, times, TV, online