Totti: "The galácticos call me crazy for refusing Real Madrid"
The legend that is Francesco Totti has said that he never regrets the decisions he made as a player, and that includes when Los Blancos got in touch.
Francesco Totti, the former captain of Roma, revealed that when he meets up with some of the old galácticos of Real Madrid, they tell him that his decision not to sign for Los Blancos in 2001 was crazy.
Galácticos label Totti 'crazy'
Speaking with international television company DAZN, the Italian legend reflected on the calls from the Madrid president, Florentino Pérez, requesting to sign him in the early 2000s. His reason for rejecting that offer was for his love of Roma, his childhood club, where he will always now be seen as part of its fabric.
"My retirement was a little unexpected, but correct," he explained. "Now I have accepted it, but I needed two years to do so, because it was not my decision.
"In any case, I have never regretted my decisions. Not even from when I was 25 years old and Real Madrid called me at the time of the galácticos, although I did have a moment of uncertainty.
"Now, when I see some players from that Real Madrid side they say to me, 'you were crazy, you rejected the best team in the world'.
"I made a decision for a love I don't regret," he continued. "Staying in Rome was a double victory. Playing 25 years wearing the shirt of the team I supported."
Totti retired in May 2017 after 25 years with Roma, playing 786 games and scoring 309 goals. He won the league title in 2001, the Italian Cups in 2007 and 2008, and two Italian Super Cups, in 2001 and 2007.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?