Coronavirus: UEFA chief hands Liverpool Premier League title
Liverpool will be Premier League champions regardless of how the season finishes, says UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin sees "no way" in which Liverpool could be denied the Premier League title this season despite the coronavirus pandemic.
Klopp and co have already won EPL for Ceferin
Liverpool were 25 points clear atop the table when the campaign was suspended due to coronavirus last month.
It remains unclear when, and if, the season will resume, but Ceferin said Jürgen Klopp's men were almost certain to be champions, giving the club their first top-flight title since 1990.
"I see no way to keep Liverpool untitled," he told Slovenian sports daily Ekipa.
"If it is played, then they will almost certainly win it – theoretically they have not reached the guaranteed level, but it is practically close.
"However, if it could not be played, it would also be necessary to announce the results in some way … and then the champions should be determined. And of course again I don't see a scenario that would not be Liverpool.
"I understand that fans will be disappointed if it happens in an empty stadium or even at a green table, but I believe they will win the title in one way or another."
However, Ceferin insisted the plan was still for leagues around the world to be completed.
"I just spoke hypothetically," he said. "We are also preparing for such scenarios, but we are not dealing with the details for now.
"At this point, we are fully committed to completing the competition."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August