New York records 758 confirmed deaths in a single day
New York State has witnessed the brunt of the Covid-19 virus in the country and has experienced 6 straight days of more than 700 deaths as of April 12.
The Gov. of New York Andrew Cuomo confirmed on Sunday that the state documented 758 deaths on Saturday and this marks the sixth day in a row that the state has seen more than 700 deaths from Covid-19. The empire state counted 18,707 new hospitalizations, 189 new intensive care unit admissions and 1,862 discharges in 24 hours.
“You also see a flattening in the number of lies lost at a terribly high rate, but if you look back over the past several days you see there’s a certain continuity to that number. That is the one number I look forward to seeing drop as soon as I open my eyes in the morning,” Cuomo said during his press conference.
New York’s highest one-day death toll hit 799 on Wednesday but has remained above 750 in the past 6 days. “Somebody asked the question once can you ever get numb to seeing these numbers. Unfortunately no, 758 people lost their lives in a 24 hour period,” Cuomo said.
The governor also signed two executive orders Sunday, including one instructing employers to provide face masks to essential workers who interact with the public. The other order extended the state approval for who can conduct an antibody test.
We deeply mourn the 758 New Yorkers we lost yesterday to COVID-19.— Andrew Cuomo (@NYGovCuomo) April 12, 2020
New York is not numb.
We know this is not just a number — it is real lives lost forever.
In total, New York has counted 9,385 fatalities from the coronavirus outbreak. A total of 188,964 cases have been positive, out of which 8,236 were diagnosed Saturday, according to the state health department.
Live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
You can keep up-to-date with the latest news on the Covid-19 crisis by following our daily live blog.
The complete lowdown on Covid-19
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will we get $1400 | House passed $1.9 trillion bill: live
- PREMIER LEAGUE We were lucky - City boss praises West Ham after landmark win
- BARCELONA Barcelona player ratings after comfortable Sevilla win
- NFL Is a trade between Russell Wilson and Dak Prescott possible?
- NBA Raptors roll on as Spain coach Scariolo fills in for absent Nurse
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS House approves Biden relief bill: what are the next steps and when will stimulus check will passed?