Macron on one side, Tebas on the other
There are five recognised major leagues in European football with the French Ligue 1 the fifth in this ranking but the first to confirm that their competition will not proceed which has taken the other four leagues by surprise. It also then wrangles when French president Macron then requests that the others follow suit despite a special task force established by UEFA to devise a strategy for each nation in assisting and holding out as long as possible in an attempt to salvage the current campaign. France made their own decision and now want others to follow their lead.
There are a few takeaways from this ruling with it being obvious that the importance of the game in France pales into comparison alongside the other four nations. This is true also in the capital city where rugby is cherished and football seen as a 'provincial sport'. Before the emergence of PSG, which was a creation of TV network Canal+ before being taken over by Qatar, there was little culture for the sport in the capital. This may have something to do with Macron's decision with the pressing issue now for French sport to preserve the 2020 Tour de France which has had its start date already delayed.
LaLiga pushes ahead
There is a varying panorama in the other major footballing nations, Italy's restart is still marred with doubt, Germany looks like it may start in mid May and the Premier League is shortly to make a decision on what strategy to adopt as deaths and new cases in the UK continue to increase. Spain and LaLiga under the guidance of president Javier Tebas are now starting to begin to establish a calendar for a return. Issues about testing and a health conscious protocol have been established with the Spanish FA and Ministry for Sport with games poised to restart in June. France move one way, Spain the other and only time will tell who has made the correct decision.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands