What amount can I expect with a second possible stimulus check?
The first round of coronavirus stimulus checks started being paid at the end of April with the Trump administration exploring the possibility of a second wave of payments.
At present it's not clear if the US government will issue a second round of stimulus checks for those eligible claimants, with already over 155 billion dollars having been out in 88 million checks and with a total of 150 million non-taxable payments expected to be made out by the end of the scheme.
Back at the beginning of April, US president Donald Trump confirmed that possibility of a second stimulus check was “absolutely under serious consideration.”
Early optimism for those hoping to secure a second payment was tempered last weekend when White House economic adviser Kevin Hasset admitted that another round of coronavirus relief legislation might not be necessary, arguing that “because there's been good news really, that the economy opening up is starting to happen faster than we expected” then there is a chance no further relief, including a second stimulus check would be needed.
For a second stimulus check to materialise, legal representatives from both sides of the political divide will need to come together to agree on future steps. These meetings are expected to take place over the next few days and set to be instrumental in determining if a second stimulus check is issued or not, and whether or not there may be any future stimulus checks.
The Economic Impact Payments, as titled by the IRS are worth up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples, plus $500 for each qualifying child.
The United States has registered the highest number of deaths relating to the Covid-19 virus in the world with over 70,000 people having succumbed to the virus.
- Plans for second round of US stimulus checks
- Stimulus check: who needs to use the non-filer application?
- Time running out for some Americans to apply for stimulus payment
- What to do with a stimulus check for someone who died
- The stick-on throat patch that detects Covid-19 symptoms
- Where to claim unemployment benefits in the US: phone, online
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
You can stay up-to-date with the latest developments and numbers in the coronavirus pandemic by following our daily live blog. We also have dedicated rolling feeds covering the United States, India and Africa.
Recommended in English
- SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS At what age can you collect Social Security?
- Health What is ‘Golden Blood’, the incredibly rare blood type known as Rhnull
- ALFREDO RELAÑO LaLiga's conundrum in trying to schedule match-day 21
- NFL Divisional round predictions: Bengals vs Titans, 49ers vs Packers, Rams vs Bucs, Bills vs Chiefs
- NFL LA Rams' QB Matthew Stafford is ready to play the Bucs
- COPA DEL REY Athletic Club vs Barcelona summary: score, goals, highlights, Copa del Rey 2021-22