George Floyd: Mayweather to pay for funeral services
Boxing legend Floyd Mayweather has committed to paying for the funeral of George Floyd, who died during an arrest by Minneapolis police on Monday.
Floyd Mayweather is to pay for George Floyd's funeral services, Mayweather Promotions chief executive Leonard Ellerbe has confirmed.
Floyd killed during arrest by Minneapolis police
Floyd – an African-American man – died in Minneapolis after a police officer was filmed kneeling on his neck during an arrest on Monday.
Violent protests have broken out across the United States since Floyd's death, during which he was filmed crying out for help as he was handcuffed and pinned to the ground.
There has been an outcry of support for Floyd and growing calls to tackle racism in the USA and across the world.
Mayweather "definitely paying for the funeral"
In the meantime, American boxing legend Mayweather has committed to paying for all of Floyd's funeral costs.
"He'll probably get mad at me for saying that, but yes, [Mayweather] is definitely paying for the funeral," CEO Ellerbe told ESPN.
Ellerbe added: "Floyd has done these kind of things over the last 20 years."
Mayweather's last boxing bout was the mega-money Las Vegas showdown with UFC star Conor McGregor in August 2017.
After that, the 43-year-old Mayweather faced kickboxing star Tenshin Nasukawa in an exhibition fight.
Te recomendamos en English
- 2021 TAX FILING How to check your adjusted gross income for tax filing and the third stimulus check
- PREMIER LEAGUE Chelsea defeat "a massive blow" to Liverpool's Champions League hopes, admits Klopp
- Borussia Dortmund - Bayern Munich Klassiker: Haaland a pretender to Lewandowski's throne?
- Copa del Rey Athletic Bilbao could win Copa del Rey twice in two weeks
- PSG Neymar: PSG face Lille issue over international fixtures
- NFL Broncos want to bring back Von Miller – George Paton