Did Trump say there would be a second stimulus check?
The United States President hinted on Monday that he is open to sending a second round of stimulus payments to millions of Americans who are struggling economically.
On Monday, President Donald Trump hinted there could be a "generous" second coronavirus stimulus check but he did not say whether it had already been approved or might be on the way. In an interview, reporter Joe St. George by asked the President about plans for another Economic Impact payment. “Yes, we are, we are. We will be doing another stimulus package and it’ll be very good, it’ll be very generous,” Trump said.
However, Trump did not give any further details about when the next stimulus package would be unveiled, only that it would be bipartisan and coming soon. It means that his administration could approve a second stimulus package which may or may not include a second round of stimulus checks.
Trump was then asked to elaborate on how how much money the new impact payment would entail, compared with the $1,200 individual check which was approved in the CARES Act, but simply answered, “You’ll find out” .
VIDEO: President Trump commits to 2nd stimulus. He says details would be announced in the coming weeks. The President would not tell me how much of a check Americans will receive. pic.twitter.com/Abd5E8P3Au— Joe St. George (@JoeStGeorge) June 22, 2020
It is still unclear what specific policies the White House is working on, but Republicans and Democrats have given several proposals that would get money directly into the hands of millions of Americans struggling during the coronavirus pandemic.
Close to 46 million Americans have lost their jobs as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, a rate never seen since the Great Depression. Democrats have been more aggressive with handing out money, with the HEROES Act, but Republicans are thinking of a back-to-work bonus for unemployed Americans returning to their jobs.
Americans are eager for a second check but they may have to wait for a while and the extra unemployment benefits of $600 a week is ending by the end of July with no hopes that it could be extended through the end of the year as Democrats proposed a few weeks ago.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August