Neymar should the Ballon d'Or if PSG win the Champions League, says Kaka
If he plays a key role in helping Paris Saint-Germain to be crowned European champions, Kaka thinks Neymar would be a candidate to win the Ballon d'Or.
Neymar will be a strong contender to win this year's Ballon d'Or if he can guide Paris Saint-Germain to win the Champions League next month, 2007 winner Kaka believes. PSG have not played a competitive game since March due to the coronavirus pandemic, though they were declared Ligue 1 champions when the season was curtailed in April. Thomas Tuchel's team will therefore be fresh when they head into a re-formatted Champions League finale in six weeks.
Due to international travel restrictions, the last eight of Europe's premier club competition will head to Lisbon for a mini-tournament of single-leg knockout games played across 12 days to decide the title. PSG will take part after Neymar scored in both legs of their last-16 elimination of Borussia Dortmund before the season was put on hold.
A new Ballon d'Or winner?
Kaka picked up the Ballon d'Or in 2007 and was the last player not named Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi to receive the award until Luka Modric took it in 2018. The former Real Madrid and Milan star thinks inspiring PSG to their first Champions League trophy would put Neymar in line for similar recognition.
Asked if Brazil had any candidates for the Ballon d'Or, Kaka told Globo Esporte: "The first is Ney, who is a strong favourite. I believe Neymar is one of the best players today. Whether he wins the award will depend on the team achievement he is part of. Now, let's look at this Champions League final in Lisbon: Neymar being the protagonist, Paris Saint-Germain the champions. Neymar deservedly wins the award for best player in the world."
The Champions League quarter-finals will start on 12 August, with four last-16 ties to be settled the week prior.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics