New York City FC change travel date to Florida due to new Covid-19 cases
New York City FC announced that due to recent changes to New York State guidelines they have decided to change their travel plans to the state of Florida.
On Friday, the state of Florida reported a record increase in the number of new coronavirus cases over the last couple of weeks. On Friday it added another 8,942 cases, which is now the highest single-day jump since tracking began in March.
Even though the San Jose Earthquakes and Orlando City were the first two teams to arrive earlier this week in Florida, New York City FC announced on Saturday that due to the recent changes to New York State guidelines they will travel to Orlando on 2 July.
The New York State guidelines allow professional sports teams to train in New York and in consultation with Major League Soccer (MLS), NYCFC has decided to continue full team training at their Etihad City Football Academy. They were programmed to fly to Florida on Saturday but now they will do it next Thursday.
Once they arrive, NYCFC will have two days to prepare for their first pre-tournament game scheduled on 4 July, the United States independence day. NYCFC was drawn into Group A alongside Orlando City SC, Inter Miami, Philadelphia Union, Chicago Fire and Nashville SC.
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson out for the rest of the season
- PREMIER LEAGUE Former players call for change after calamitous VAR decisions
- World Football Summit Collina on VAR: “In five years we’ve gone from zero to having it in all main competitions”
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Manchester City: Agüero to miss return leg against Real Madrid
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Mnuchin claims Trump backs 'another round' before 20 July
- PREMIER LEAGUE VAR officials "are frightened to death to overrule referees" says Gary Neville