Second stimulus check: How many checks have been mailed?
As Congress finalizes discussing the final stimulus relief package amid the coronavirus pandemic, the IRS prepares to send a second round of payments.
Back in March, when the coronavirus pandemic started in the United States and the economy shut down, President Donald Trump signed the CARES Act, that among other measures, it sent a direct payment of $1,200 to millions of Americans. Since then the IRS has sent 160 million stimulus checks to those who qualify under the bill.
As the month of July ends, Congress is working on the fourth and final stimulus relief package that would include a second round of stimulus checks to millions of Americans who qualify under CARES 2. This new bill should be approved by the end of this week and the IRS could start sending the second payment as soon as next month.
“Our proposal is the exact same provision as last time,” Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin told reporters Thursday as he and congressional Republicans work to finalize a series of stimulus bills that will form the counteroffer to a plan from Democrats.
The IRS will be using the same parameters as the first round of stimulus payments. This means that people will get it directly in their bank account or through debit cards that they will assign for those who don’t have bank information. The IRS prioritized getting direct deposit information for households earlier this year, so the agency could deliver millions of electronic payments and not be slowed down by mailing paper checks.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August