Juventus secure ninth Serie A title in a row with Sampdoria win
Juventus were crowned Serie A champions for a ninth straight season on Sunday after beating Sampdoria 2-0 in Turin.
Juventus defeated Sampdoria 2-0 at Allianz Stadium on Sunday to claim the 2019-20 Serie A title - the Turin giants' ninth Italian championship in a row.
Juventus have won every Serie A since 2011-12
The Bianconeri extended their record run, which stretches back to 2011-12, thanks to goals from Cristiano Ronaldo and Federico Bernardeschi.
Maurizio Sarri's side have wobbled over recent weeks, failing to wrap things up on Thursday when they went down to a 2-1 defeat at Udinese.
It meant they had only one win from five as they prepared to entertain Sampdoria, with Inter's 3-0 victory over Genoa on Saturday having closed the gap at the summit to four points.
Juve boss Sarri's first major trophy in Italian game
The Scudetto represents Sarri's first major honour in Italian football, while at 61 he has also become the oldest coach to win Serie A.
Juve were just one point clear of Lazio prior to the shutdown in March amid the coronavirus pandemic, but four straight victories upon the resumption helped them build a commanding lead – breathing space that came in handy more recently.
Cristiano the first Juve player to score 30 in Serie A since 50s
Cristiano Ronaldo played a key role in the triumph. He reached 50 career Serie A goals in just 61 games, while also becoming the first man to score 30 in a league campaign for Juventus since John Hansen in 1951-52.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future