Zverev joins list of stars unsure about playing at U.S. Open
The viability of the U.S. Open is being called into question as the world number seven joins Ashley Barty and Nick Kyrgios by considering a withdrawal.
World number seven Alexander Zverev is still unsure if he will play at the 2020 U.S. Open, casting further doubt on the viability of the tournament in New York. The grand slam is scheduled to start on August 31 amid the coronavirus pandemic, but uncertainty remains over the strength of the field due to health concerns. World number one Ashley Barty and her compatriot Nick Kyrgios have already pulled out and there are question marks over the stance of Rafa Nadal, with the French Open due to start just two weeks after the hard court major ends.
Now Zverev, coming off three wins at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown, is unsure if he will make the trip to New York.
"I will see because the situation right now in the U.S. is not that great so I don't know what we will decide with my team," the German told Tennis Majors.
"I want to play tournaments, but I think the U.S. right now is a little bit of a funny place."
Coronavirus cases on the rise in U.S.
The United States has seen more than 4.8 million confirmed cases of coronavirus, with the death toll exceeding 158,000.
Zverev, 23, said he would wait and see before making a decision on the U.S. Open.
"I think just see how it develops over the next few weeks, if the cases go up, how the travelling will be and if it will be safe," he said.
"I might not to go there if I don't feel safe, my team doesn't feel safe. I'm still quite young but everybody that is involved with me maybe is a little bit older and they're in more danger than I am."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 5 August
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION $100 Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation in California: what's the deadline to claim it?
- CORONAVIRUS Do all states have to follow the mask mandate?
- Coronavirus How effective are masks against the Delta variant?
- MLS “We urgently need to start winning trophies” - Carlos Vela on LAFC goals
- SERIE A Eriksen returns to Inter for first time since cardiac arrest