Champions League: Verratti in PSG squad despite availability doubts
Paris Saint-Germain have named Marco Verratti in their Champions League squad, despite huge concerns over his availability for the remainder of the competition.
Marco Verratti has been included in Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League squad as they prepare for their quarter-final against Atalanta, despite ongoing concerns over his fitness.
Media reports say Verratti will miss rest of Champions League
The Italy international injured his calf in training and was missing for a 1-0 friendly win over Sochaux on Wednesday.
Head coach Thomas Tuchel admitted he was concerned about a "big injury" and it was later suggested Verratti would definitely miss next Wednesday's last-eight clash in Lisbon.
Fresh reports suggest Verratti may not be able to play any part in the remainder of the competition, even if PSG progress past the Serie A side.
❤️💙 Thank you to the fans for coming to the airport!— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English) August 8, 2020
🔜 Faro 🇵🇹 pic.twitter.com/xLeolSRU0X
Tuchel unsure if Mbappé will make bench against Atalanta
Kylian Mbappé was also included on the list as the squad headed to Portugal ahead of the Champions League's 'final eight' mini-tournament, despite the striker sustaining a serious ankle sprain in the Coupe de France final win over Saint-Etienne last month.
Tuchel said in midweek he was unsure if Mbappé would be able to make the bench for the Atalanta game.
"For Mbappé, I have no idea," Tuchel told beIN SPORTS on Wednesday. "He works hard, but he's short, super short. We will see on Saturday with the doctor whether it is possible that he is on the bench against Atalanta."
Semi against Leipzig or Atlético awaits winners of Atalanta-PSG tie
PSG take on Atalanta at the Estádio da Luz on 12 August, with the winners progressing to a semi-final against RB Leipzig or Atlético Madrid at the same venue on 18 August. The final, also at Da Luz, will be held on 23 August.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness