Vinicius: "I had proposals from Barcelona and Real Madrid"
Real Madrid winger Vinícius has had a mixed time of things in Spain and has confirmed he could have ended up at Barcelona instead of the Bernabéu.
Vinicíus Junior has revealed Barcelona were interested in signing him but he opted to join bitter foes Real Madrid after being given just two days to make a decision. The Brazil international officially arrived at the Santiago Bernabéu in July 2018, a year after Madrid agreed a reported £38.7million deal with Flamengo.
He has yet to hit double figures for the club in terms of goals but was on target in March's huge 2-0 win over LaLiga title rivals Barcelona.
However, things could have been a lot different for Vinicius as the winger was offered the chance to join Barça in 2017.
"I had proposals from Barça and Madrid and only had two days to choose," he said in Real Madrid TV documentary 'Campo de Estrellas'. "I see myself in Madrid for a long time, winning everything and being very successful."
Vinícius linked with Manchester United
Vinicius, who is rumoured to be a target for Manchester United, remains grateful to former club Flamengo for giving him a platform to showcase his talent.
"I come from São Gonçalo, which is a very dangerous place," he said. "They always helped me when I didn't have money to pay for the academy and they let me train for a long time without paying.
"My father went to work in São Paulo so that I would have money to train and play soccer."
Recommended in English
- NFL Wide receiver to wide back, the evolution being driven by the 49ers Deebo Samuel
- NFL Playoff Power Rankings: Packers, Rams, Chiefs | NFL Playoffs
- NFL NFL Wild Card Review: Games, Conclusions and Reflections
- AFCON Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria: AFCON, times, TV and how to watch online
- AFCON AFCON Group D matchday preview: Egypt vs Sudan and Guinea-Bissau vs Nigeria
- Middleton admits Bucks need a Holiday from sorry slide as Grizzlies come into view