Stimulus check: will Trump sign a second check before US elections?
Millions of Americans are eagerly awaiting a second round of payments worth up to $1,200 per individual to help with financial hardship, but how quickly could it arrive.
Republicans and Democrats have thus far failed to reach an agreement about a further stimulus relief package amid the coronavirus pandemic. They will now resume talks after Labor Day weekend where they will try to draft a bill that would include a second round of stimulus checks.
Vice President Mike Pence has spoken about the White House committed to at least wanting to send a second round of payments during an interview he gave on Friday to CNBC.
“Nobody wants to give direct payments to American families more than President Donald Trump. We sent those checks to American families. It helped people through this tough time,” Pence said.
- Second stimulus check: what did Mnuchin say about relief talks?
- Stimulus check payment: what are the IRS alternatives?
- Stimulus Checks: what has been agreed and what remains to be resolved?
- What are the 'Melania Trump tapes' and what could they mean for Donald?
- $300 unemployment benefit: in which states will it be paid and for how long?
- Stimulus checks: 70% of payments sent to dead people has been recovered
Could payments arrive before Election Day
When Congress resumes talks after Labor Day and assuming they manage to draft and pass the fifth stimulus relief package, it won’t be until October or later before people receive the second round of payments, according to Bill Hoagland the Senior Vice President at the Bipartisan Policy Center.
“Politically, some of the people in the White House might think it’s a good thing to get a check signed by Donald Trump right before the election,” said Hoagland. The American people go to the polls on 3 November, if they haven't taken advantage of the simple early voting option.
When the bill is eventually signed by President Trump - and most experts believe it will be at some point - those first to receive their money are going to be the ones who filed with the IRS just as they did when the CARES Act was approved. The deadline for people who have not filed their taxes is 15 October.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA Skills Challenge: which players will participate in the 2021 edition?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Does NBA League Pass include NBA All-Star 2021?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming & when it could pass Senate vote, IRS tax return | Live
- 2021 TAX FILING Has the IRS already started refunding tax return 2021?
- NFL Denver Broncos: Stay locked on Drew or hand keys to a rookie QB?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK How to claim a missing stimulus check on your 2020 tax return