Everton boss Ancelotti: Allan one of the world's best
Carlo Ancelotti believes Everton have signed one of the world's finest defensive midfielders in the form of Brazil international Allan.
New Everton signing Allan is one of the best defensive midfielders in world football, according to Toffees boss Carlo Ancelotti. Everton confirmed the signing of Allan from Napoli on Saturday, with the 29-year-old having penned a three-year contract at Goodison Park. The Brazil midfielder is expected to be joined shortly by Real Madrid's James Rodríguez, who is set to reunite with his former manager in the Premier League.
Allan was one of the most consistent performers for the Serie A side under both Maurizio Sarri and Ancelotti, but fell out of favour under Gennaro Gattuso.
Ancelotti was keen to be reunited with the Brazil international – who has made nine appearances for his country – at Everton, and a deal reportedly worth £22.2million (€25m) plus add-ons was struck.
While deals for Rodríguez and Watford's Abdoulaye Doucouré are thought to be close, Ancelotti has hailed Allan, who watched his new side beat Preston North End 2-0 in a friendly on Saturday, as one of the best players in his position.
Ancelotti: Allan is very good tactically
"[I am] happy for this," Ancelotti told reporters. "I think that it was not easy to find a deal but, in the end, we were able to do it and I think he will prove to be a fantastic player for us with quality and ability.
"For sure, I have no doubt. He is a player who will show a lot of energy on the pitch. He is very good tactically, good with the ball and good without the ball. He is a fantastic signing for us.
"He is going to put strength in midfield. This is his best quality. For this reason, all the players we have with quality are going to improve for being with him. He is not just a player for himself. He is a player whose energy can make the others better.
"He's very aggressive. Defensively, he is really good. My personal opinion is that he is one of the best defensive midfielders in the world. He is intelligent tactically and he has got a lot of energy. One against one, he is really strong."
Paris Saint-Germain attempted to sign Allan in 2019, when Napoli – then coached by Ancelotti – rejected a reported €60m offer, with the Ligue 1 champions instead signing Idrissa Gueye, a move which left a void in Everton's midfield last season.
"Yes, [PSG] tried to sign him but I didn't want him to leave so he stayed with me," Ancelotti, who was pictured with Colombia star James in a Liverpool hotel on Friday, added.
"I don't know whether it was [€60m], I'm not focused about the money. There was a deal and I think that Everton are happy to have this deal! Napoli were not happy that they had to let him leave."
Te recomendamos en English
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPICS Thompson-Herah wins women's 100m title and beats Fraser-Pryce
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Spain's late escape, as Brazil line up Mexico
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Team USA into quarters as Durant and Tatum star
- GOLD CUP USA vs Mexico: times, TV and how to watch online
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system