Australia to host Rugby Championship
World champions South Africa may not be able to participate in the championship set to be played in Australia later this year.
Australia has been chosen over New Zealand the host the previously postponed four-way championship due to Covid-19 outbreak, meanwhile, the world champions South Africa may be unable to participate in the competition due to the ongoing pandemic.
The championship was originally scheduled to be held in August but was later postponed due to the pandemic situation to be played between 7 November and 12 December in only one country because of current air-travel difficulties. All rounds, bar one in Queensland, will be in the southeastern state of New South Wales, where Sydney is the capital with Argentina completing the participating nations.
World Champions South Africa's participation remains in doubt since the country is enduring a fierce battle against Covid-19 with all sports competition on hold. South Africa is the worst-hit African nation and the fifth globally during the pandemic registering a total caseload of 642,000.
In view of that, SANZAAR chief executive Andy Marinos said "The Springboks' participation will be dependent on the relaxation of that suspension as well as overcoming a number of other logistical challenges including the opening of international air borders".
New Zealand was earlier the governing body's favorite to host the tournament due to its successful containment of the virus' spread, however, following months of negotiations, Australia managed to snatch the honor of being the host. Marinos stated that Australia was chosen "based on government-required quarantine protocols (for entry and training prior to the tournament) and commercial underwriting".
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics