Rodrygo's goal lifts the gloom
Real Madrid's win over Inter certainly makes the group table easier reading and also covers some of the cracks following the home defeat to Shakhtar. Rodrygo's goal secured three valuable points and shows that once again as we saw at Borussia Park, in European competitions, Real Madrid refuse to throw in the towel. Zidane's men went ahead on the night through a well taken Benzema opener with Sergio Ramos doubling the home sides advantage. Lautaro immediately pulled one back for the Italian side and a win looked far from conclusive after the Milan outfit drew level in the second half.
There was a considerable time during the game when Madrid were on the back foot and were being outclassed by the men in black and blue. Zidane shuffled his deck and just as fans were calling for Modric to be brought on to control the midfield, the French coach opted to bring on Rodrygo and Vinicius for Asensio and Hazard. Both Brazilian players were instrumental in the winning goal as Vinicius centred and Rodrygo finished. At that point of the game Modric had been brought on and immediately bossed the central area oozing a maturity and calm even when things are not going according to plan. After this win over Inter, Madrid still have plenty of work ahead but have made their task of progressing to the next stage considerably easier.
Atleti in Moscow
In the earlier kick-off, Atlético Madrid secured a point in Moscow which is not, on reflection a bad away result with some feeling that their solid performance possibly warranted more. Simeone's men played well in the first half but were excellent in the second 45 with João Félix outstanding going forward for Atleti. That old steely defence minded version of Atlético Madrid is slowly becoming something of the past as this team look to push forward knowing that they have the individuals talented enough to focus on this aspect of the game and crack open defences. It was a shame that the final scoreline reflected a draw but the overall game certainly gave grounds for future optimism.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid team news: Fede Valverde out of Getafe game due to coronavius contact
- LaLiga Getafe vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- NBA Lakers star Andre Drummond revels in surreal moment after Staples Center win
- F1 Miami Grand Prix added to Formula One calendar from 2022
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci, My Turn...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim