Barcelona's Messi to miss Eibar game as star given extended break
Barça will be without captain Lionel Messi against Eibar on Tuesday, as the Argentine is not due to return to Catalonia until after the LaLiga game.
Barcelona captain Lionel Messi will miss the Blaugrana's LaLiga clash with Eibar on Tuesday after being granted an extended Christmas break.
Messi to stay in native Argentina until January
Messi and his family went to Rosario for the festive period and he is not expected to be back in Catalonia until the new year, ahead of the league match against Huesca on 3 January.
Barça returned to training on Sunday after being given four days off following a 3-0 victory at Real Valladolid.
The club confirmed Messi is expected to be back at the Camp Tito Vilanova facilities after the league meeting with José Luis Mendilibar's men at Camp Nou.
According to Sport, head coach Ronald Koeman granted Messi permission to spend longer in Argentina as he looks to keep the six-time Ballon d'Or winner fully fit and firing.
Messi has hit six goals in last eight games in LaLiga
After a difficult start to the season following his failed attempt to leave the club, Messi has recovered some form, scoring six of his seven league goals in 2020-21 in his most recent eight appearances.
Barça are fifth in LaLiga, eight points behind leaders Atlético Madrid, having played a game more.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth