Arsenal: Özil is a Fenerbahçe fanatic, admits agent
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has been strongly linked with Fenerbahçe and his agent is hopeful that the transfer will go through soon.
Mesut Özil is a Fenerbahçe fanatic and could join the Turkish giants from Arsenal this month, according to agent Erkut Sogut. The 32-year-old has not played for Arsenal since last March after being frozen out by first-team manager Mikel Arteta.
Özil is into the final six months of his Emirates Stadium contract and revealed on Monday a move to either Turkey or the United States appeals to him. Agent Sogut is hopeful his client will soon find a new club, with discussions already under way with clubs over a possible deal in the January window. "Özil is not an ordinary Fenerbahçe supporter. He's a fanatic. He would only come to Turkey to play for Fenerbahçe. I hope it will happen," Sogut told beIN Sports Turkey. "This transfer needs a process. It would be wrong to say certain things before something happens, but I hope it will happen."
Sogut added: "It'll be a great moment for Mesut to come to Fenerbahçe, as a big fan. But at the moment, I can't say what the chances are. We have to see both sides of the picture. Before the papers are signed, nothing is definite. Even if we come to a verbal agreement before contracts are signed, nobody can say this deal is done."
Major League Soccer side DC United have also been credited with an interest in Özil, who has spent the past seven and a half years with Arsenal. Only Kevin De Bruyne (74), David Silva (63) and Christian Eriksen (62) have provided more Premier League assists than Özil's 54 since the start of 2013-14.
Arteta hinted last week there is no way back for the German at Arsenal, but Sogut suggested he may remain in north London until his contract expires, saying, "If this is a good move, let's hope it happens; if not, we don't want it. Let's wait for the process and people now understand what Mesut wants to do from his tweets."
Özil has not played a minute of football this season after being left out of Arsenal's Premier League and Europa League squads, yet Sogut does not see that being a problem. He said: "There have been no mishaps, he trains with the first team and a lack of match time is a problem that can be solved quickly. He'll become a 90-minute player in a short period of time."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?