Tuchel: Guardiola welcomes "exceptional" Chelsea boss to Premier League
Thomas Tuchel, who was appointed as Chelsea's new head coach on Tuesday, has been welcomed to England by Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola.
Pep Guardiola has welcomed Thomas Tuchel to the Premier League, the Manchester City boss describing the newly appointed Chelsea head coach an "exceptional manager".
Tuchel confirmed as Lampard replacement on Tuesday
Tuchel's appointment at Stamford Bridge was confirmed on Tuesday, a day after Chelsea sacked Frank Lampard.
Guardiola and Tuchel previously went head-to-head domestically in the Bundesliga, where the German was in charge of Mainz and Borussia Dortmund while the Spaniard was at the helm of Bayern Munich.
Guardiola on Tuchel: "He's a friend of mine. I'm happy to see him"
After City moved top of the Premier League with a 5-0 thrashing of West Brom on Tuesday, Guardiola welcomed Tuchel to England.
"Welcome. He's an exceptional manager. I'm pretty sure he will have success. Happy to see him here in this country," he told a news conference.
"When I was at Bayern Munich I played against him at Mainz. At the last season at Dortmund he did an incredible job, the way Dortmund played was outstanding. We fought a lot as Bayern Munich to win that title.
"He's a friend of mine and I'm happy to see him."
Tuchel led PSG to 2019/20 Champions League final
Tuchel won the DFB-Pokal with Dortmund in 2016-17, while he led PSG to two Ligue 1 titles, a Coupe de France and Coupe de la Ligue, as well as last season's Champions League final, before being sacked in December.
Chelsea, who are 10th in the table, are in action on Wednesday, hosting Wolves.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Pentagon placed on lockdown after shots fired near Metro station
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics 2021: Durant demands gold as USA beat Spain
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Can Simone Biles participate at Paris 2024 Olympics or will she retire earlier?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Asensio's extra-time winner puts Spain into the final
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Recap: Biles takes bronze, Thompson-Herah makes history