Flick plays down speculation over Germany manager's job
Bayern Munich head coach Hansi Flick is among the favourites to replace Joachim Löw for Germany but he has fended off talk he could be a contender.
Hansi Flick is not interested in "speculation" he could take over as Germany head coach as he eyes more trophies for Bayern Munich. Flick is among the names linked with the Germany job after long-serving boss Joachim Löw decided to step down after Euro 2020.
Bayern supremo Flick masterminded a magnificent Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal and UEFA Champions League treble last season.
The Bavarian giants have also won the FIFA Club World Cup, UEFA Super Cup and DFL-Supercup in a dream start to Flick's tenure.
Bayern are top of the Bundesliga and remain in the hunt to win the Champions League, so Flick is focused on the job in hand rather than the possibility of succeeding Low.
Flick: "I'm interested in the here and now"
Hansi #Flick on the national team: "I have a contract until 2023 and want to be successful and win titles with Bayern München. It's not the time to speculate about my future."#FCBayern pic.twitter.com/qy7lyQcNSm— FC Bayern English(@FCBayernEN) March 12, 2021
He said in a press conference on Friday: "I have a contract until 2023 and want to be successful and win titles with Bayern Munich. It's not the time to speculate about my future."
Flick added: "I'm interested in the here and now. I am now looking after my team and the game against Werder Bremen [on Saturday]. As I said, speculation is not an issue for me."
Asked if he was surprised Löw will walk away from the job, he said. "Yes, yes. He did a very good job for German football. Can be very proud of what he has achieved."
Full-back Benjamin Pavard is back in the squad for the clash with Bremen at the Weserstadion after being out of action following his positive coronavirus test.
David Alaba missed training on Thursday due to a muscular injury, but will be monitored in a session on Friday.
Bayern have scored 13 goals in their last three games and Flick expects the leaders to show intensity from the start as they go in search of a fourth consecutive victory.
He said: "Bremen have a very good defence, they stay compact and don't give away much space. We found that in the home match. It's important that we are aggressive off the ball and find good solutions with it."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?