Elche protest that Real Madrid's equaliser should have been ruled out
Benzema levelled the score from a corner taken by Toni Kroos but the ball was moving, not stationary, breaching the laws of the game.
In a game which produced a number of controversial decisions, there was one problematic incident which many people might have missed but various Elche players didn't - when Karim Benzema headed in the equaliser from a corner on 72 minutes.
Ball was moving
Elche players protested to referee Jorge Figueroa Vázquez that the goal should have disallowed because the ball was still moving when Toni Kroos hurriedly took the corner in the build-up. The laws of the game state that, the ball must be placed in the corner and be completely stationary before it can be taken.Under normal circumstances, the VAR control room should have notified the referee that the ball was moving, ruled out the goal and obliged Madrid to take the corner again.
Recommended in English
- Coronavirus Is armpit pain after the covid vaccine or booster shot a normal symptom?
- SOCCER Mohamed Salah sends message to Barcelona
- MLS Jesse Marsch linked to LAFC job after being sacked by RB Leipzig
- USMNT Christian Pulisic explains struggle on the road to recovery
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United manager Rangnick delivers a 'chapeau' to Ronaldo work-rate
- NBA Did the Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo miss the game against Miami Heat?