Timo Werner "granted" North Macedonian citizenship
The Chelsea striker has been handed the freedom of North Macedonia after his miss at 1-1 paved the way for the Red lynxes to beat Germany.
Timo Werner’s 2020-21 struggles continued at international level in Germany’s shock defeat by North Macedonia in World Cup qualifying. The Chelsea striker, whose future at Stamford Bridge has come into question after his scoring touch deserted him following a big money move from RB Leipzig, was a starter for Germany in Duisberg where Igor Angelovski’s side recorded one of the most notable victories in their history, Werner missing a glorious chance to put the hosts ahead with the scores at 1-1 by failing to hit the target with the goal wide open.
Werner’s calamitous error with 10 minutes left on the clock did not go unnoticed in North Macedonia, whose triumph took them to second place in a tricky UEFA qualifying Group J. In gratitude for his services to the country, a North Macedonian newspaper bestowed honorary citizenship on Werner in the aftermath of the game, producing a national identity card for the striker.
Germany fans downbeat after new low
Germany fans reacted with a mixture of amusement and resignation to the stunt. Many admitted Werner’s miss, a simple tap-in, was worthy of mockery while others thought perhaps the paper in question had gone a bit too far with Germany’s qualification for the 2022 World Cup now facing serious difficulties.
Recommended in English
- NFL “Nobody is satisfied here” Brady and the Bucs are ready to take on the Eagles!
- NFL NFL: Rams' Weddle set for stunning playoff comeback against Cardinals
- NFL Tom Brady vs Jalen Hurts: wild card appearances, stats and records
- USMNT Juventus boss praises USMNT midfielder Weston McKennie
- AFCON 2022 Khazri nets brace as Eagles of Carthage soar past the Lions
- AFCON 2022 Late blunder and Kessie miss cost Elephants