CR Belouizdad into quarter-finals as Al Hilal exit CAF Champions League
The Algerian side claimed a precious away victory over Mamelodi Sundowns, meanwhile Al Hilal see off the tournament with a loss to Mazembe.
Algerian club CR Belouizdad managed to secure the second spot in Group B of the CAF Champions League to guarantee their qualification for the tournament's quarter-finals. They snatched a 2-0 away win over group leaders Mamelodi Sundowns taking them to nine points, four behind.
CR Belouizdad delivered one of their finest displays in the competition this season with goals from Amir Sayoud and Ahmed Gasmi in the 13th and 45th minutes respectively sealing their qualification.
Meanwhile, Al Hilal, who were battling the Algerian side for the second qualifying spot in the group, went down 2-1 to their hosts Mazembe to lose their last hope of making it any further in the tournament. They dropped into fourth place in the standings with only four points, one behind their opponents.
Two more teams to complete the quarter-final line-up
CR Belouizdad are the sixth team to join the CAF Champions League quarter-final line-up with the two second-placed teams from groups C and D to be decided on Saturday.
Horoya and the Kaizer Chiefs of Group C are vying for the second quarter-final qualifying spot with both level on eight points, while MC Alger and Zamalek are hoping to follow the lead of Esperance Sportive in Group D and secure the other quarter-final place.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?