Solari living up to expectations at Club América
The Argentine manager is close to breaking several records in his first tournament in the Liga MX as they approach one of the biggest games of the year against Cruz Azul.
Club América are currently in second place with 34 points, two behind Cruz Azul, and on a record of 11-1-2. There are three games left of the regular season and this weekend the Eagles are hosting the current leaders. Manager Santiago Solari is one win away from reaching eight consecutive victories at the Azteca stadium, the most by any manager in the history of the club.
América already secured a top-two finish, which means that they will have a bye week and home advantage in the first rounds of the playoffs. The only reason why the Eagles are not the top seeded team of the 2021 Guardianes tournament is because they got points deducted on matchday 7.
The Eagles defeated Atlas 2-0, but since they didn't register Federico Viñas for the game, the league started an investigation the next day. The striker was seen warming up with the rest of the team prior to the match and he remained on the bench the entire game. So after the investigation concluded that América would have the points deducted and the victory and Solari suffered his second defeat of the tournament.
Solari is demonstrating why he is the right man for the job and his numbers are similar to when he managed Real Madrid. During his first 26 games with the 13 time Champions League winners, he registered 21 wins, one draw and four losses.
Under Solari, the Eagles have been able to keep a clean sheet in six games and they tend to dominate possession of the ball. This weekend they will face Cruz Azul, the best team of the tournament so far, and a win will put them at the top of the table with two games left of the regular season.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness
- Coronavirus When would it be necessary to have the third covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: track and field, Caeleb Dressel, medal count, results, today 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES "Pressure is a privilege" - Djokovic on Biles and Osaka
- OLYMPIC GAMES Swimming: El Salvador's Celina Márquez departs Olympics