Florentino Pérez is "clueless" and "a disastrous president" - LaLiga chief Tebas
LaLiga chief Javier Tebas launched a scathing attack on Florentino Pérez after the Real Madrid president claimed the new European Super League would "save foobtall."
LaLiga boss Javier Tebas has slammed Real Madrid president and chairman of the proposed new European Super League, Florentino Pérez, brandishing him as “clueless” and "a disastrous president".
Amid the widespread backlash following Sunday’s announcement that 12 of Europe’s top clubs plan to form a breakaway European Super League, Peréz spoke on Spanish TV on Monday night to defend the proposal, claiming it was necessary to “save football”.
"The biggest clubs in England, Italy and Spain have found a solution to the very difficult situation that football is experiencing," Pérez told El Chiringuito TV.
"Real Madrid in just two seasons have lost €400m and that's just Real Madrid. When you only have income from television, you understand the solution is to create games that are more competitive and more attractive and that can be seen around the world.
"We decided, in midweek, instead of the Champions League we could have a Super League with more matches. Football has to evolve. It is losing interest. We have to think why 16-24 year olds are losing interest. There are bad quality matches and other platforms for entertainment. We have to make it more attractive. It is not something for the rich. We do this to save football."
Tebas reacts to Pérez comments
Speaking on Tuesday to an El Chiringuito reporter in response to Pérez's claims that the new ESL would "save football", LaLiga chief Tebas launched a scathing attack on the Real Madrid president and construction mogul.
“Florentino Pérez has been walking around clueless since December, and since yesterday he's been very lost. He looked terrible to me," said Tebas, in reference to Pérez's interview with El Chiringuito TV on Monday.
"He doesn't know the industry, he gives non-existent information, he doesn't know the information. I think he's a great construction businessman but a disastrous president."
Tebas expressed his staunch opposition and condemnation of the plans to establish the new ESL in a Tweet on Sunday, in which he slammed the architects of the new “powerpoint super league” for being “drunk with selfishness and a lack of solidarity."
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August