Gonzalo and Federico Higuaín make MLS history
The Argentine players became the first pair of brothers to score in the same MLS match, helping Inter Miami to secure three points.
Inter Miami visited Philadelphia Union in Week 2 of the 2021 Major League Soccer season and were eager to bounce back after losing their opening game against LA Galaxy (3-2 ) last weekend. The team that is co-owned by David Beckham came from behind to defeat the Union 2-1.
Higuaín brothers enter MLS record book
After Philadelphia Union took the lead in the 54th minute thanks to Jamiro Monteiro, Inter Miami manager, Phil Neville, decided to bring on Federico Higuaín to replace Rodolgo Pizarro in the 63rd minute, with the Argentine substitute making an enormous impact on the game.
After Federico assisted his brother Gonzalo in the 73rd minute to equalize the game, Miami went pushing for the three points. Their persistence paid off as Federico found the back of the next ten minutes later to give Inter Miami the 2-1 victory and their first win of the season.
"It’s great but not only because he is my brother, because when I speak about Gonzalo, I speak about a football player," older brother Federico said after the match. "On the field, in the dressing room, he’s not my brother anymore. He is my teammate. It’s a pleasure to play next to him, next to many, many guys. We are a team."
“There is a special bond when you’re in the same team," said coach Neville, who himself played alongside his brother Gary at Manchester United for most of his playing career. "Though Federico and Gonzalo are obviously just teammates, there’s a love, there’s a bond, there’s an understanding because I had the same feeling.”
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Pentagon placed on lockdown after shots fired near Metro station
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics 2021: Durant demands gold as USA beat Spain
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Can Simone Biles participate at Paris 2024 Olympics or will she retire earlier?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Asensio's extra-time winner puts Spain into the final
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics Recap: Warholm hurdles into history, Durant inspires USA into basketball semis
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Recap: Biles takes bronze, Thompson-Herah makes history