Champions League, Europa League and Conference prize money revealed
L'Equipe have revealed the prize money to be distributed across the European competitions in the 2021/22 season.
L'Equipe have published one of the best-kept secrets of every season: the money that is distributed in the Champions League, Europa League and Conference League. Possibly as a result of the Super League or higher television revenues year on year, UEFA have increased the earnings for victory and qualification over the coming season.
Qualifying for the group stages will bring in more than €15 million for each club, some €390,000 more than the 2020/21 season. In the group stages, each win is set to earn the teams €2.8 million. A draw is worth €930,000, also more than it did in 2020/21. Reaching the round of 16 is will offer €9.6 million, the quarter-finals €10.6 million, the semi-finals €12.5 million and the final will result in teams pocketing €15.5 million. The winner goes from earning €19 million to €20 million.
Although the Champions League will have a higher prize money budget than last season, the Europa League will drop from €510 million to €465 million. However, it is a better deal for the clubs that play in it. The competition has cut the number of participants from 48 to just 32, so proportionally teams will earn a higher amount.
Getting into the group stage used to be worth €2.92 million and will now be worth €3.63 million. Winning earns each club €630,000 and drawing guarantees €210,000. Being group leader brings in an extra €1.1 million.
The new competition may seem, at first glance, less attractive than the other two. While it is true that it will involve less money, it will also distribute a significant amount: €235 million among its 32 participants. Almost €3 million goes to whoever makes it through to the group stage. Each win gives €500,000 and a draw €166,000.
Top spot in the group stage is worth €650,000 and second place €325,000. L'Equipe reports that there will €8.9 million going to the winner, although this could be an error, as it is more than the amount awarded to the winner of the Europa League (€8.5 million).
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August