Spain-Lithuania to cost clubs involved
Many players have hefty bonuses in their contracts if they make their senior debuts, something to which those who play will be entitled.
Spain U21s will play against Lithuania in a friendly match on Tuesday in what was supposed to be preparation for the national team ahead of the European Championship. The Spanish FA have been investigating whether the match will count for the players as a senior or U21 international. FIFA confirmed late on Monday afternoon that the match is a full international, meaning there will be at least 16 debutants, as only Bryan Gil has played for Spain at senior level.
Spain international debuts
This issue in many cases is important from an economic point of view. In the contracts that players sign with their clubs, it is usual to include a series of variables depending on objectives: goals and games played among other things. Among these clauses, there is one that is usually very common: a bonus for debuting with the senior team.
This issue has therefore raised anger among some clubs, as many of them have a significant amount at stake if their players make their debut with the national team. In some cases it is a bonus and in others the contract changes and the player receives a new amount as an award for making his debut with the national team. Normally clubs are happy to execute this clause because the debut with the national team increases the value of their players, but in this case the situation is exceptional.
The contracts signed between clubs and players are private and therefore it is not known exactly how many of the 20 called-up players have this clause. What is certain is that several of the internationals have it, as it is very common, and in these cases the reward is twofold: on the one hand the personal satisfaction of making their debut with their country's senior team and then the financial reward stipulated in their contracts.
Busquets tests positive for covid-19
The U21 players answered coach Luis de la Fuente's call with enthusiasm after it was announced that they would play in place of the senior team after Sergio Busquets tested positive for covid-19. Many were on holiday and assumed that they were being recruited to play for the U21s. In no case did they think that it would mean their debut with the senior team nor did they think of the financial reward that they could have at the end of it.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?