Who are the top scorers in the history of the Copa América?
The Copa America will take place this summer in Brazil amidst growing concerns over the pandemic with the South American nation having hosted the last edition.
The Copa América is the oldest soccer competition in the world. It was played for the first time on a trial run in 1910. It had its first official edition between July 2 and 17, 1916, as part of Argentina's centenary independence commemorations.
As of 1975, in its 30th edition, the tournament was officially renamed Copa America. With the name change, there were also changes in the competition system. The method of consecutive points was replaced by a format similar to that of the FIFA World Cup: a qualifying phase, with teams divided into groups, followed by knockout stages.
Top scorer in the history of the tournament
The Copa America is a shorter competition compared to the likes of the World Cup, or the European Cup and it's hard to find a player who has scored many goals in many editions. Lionel Messi has 27 Copa America games and is not the top scorer of the tournament.
Maximum goal scorers: Norberto Méndez, Argentina, in 3 editions and Zizinho, Brazil, in 6 editions, each have a total of 17 goals
Copa America 2021 Brazil
Like many events from last year, the tournament had to be postponed due to the world's sanitary crisis. Originally the cup was going to be organized by Colombia and Argentina in a combined effort, but both countries have had to pull out at the last moment because of political backlash and covid complications.
Brazil, which organized the last edition, has stepped up, and the tournament will be held in the South American country. Conmebol, the organizing body, has claimed that the infrastructure is already in place for the tournament to take place there.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS What is Walmart's buy now, pay later program? Why is the layaway program discarded?
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano eruption today: evacuation, possible tsunami and live updates
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- NFL | JAGUARS Jags QB Lawrence vows not to 'play timid' after throwing seven interceptions
- NFL | BUCS Brady demands Bucs learn from Rams defeat
- Rodgers convinced last-gasp turnaround gives Packers 'legitimacy' as Super Bowl contenders