Mexico and Honduras can't break deadlock in pre-Gold Cup friendly
In their last warm-up match prior to the start of the 2020 CONCACAF Gold Cup, ‘El Tri’ and Honduras played out a scoreless draw in Atlanta, Georgia.
The Mexican national team wanted to bounce back against Honduras after losing to the United States in the CONCACAF Nations League final last Sunday. ‘El Tri’ faced Honduras at the Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta in their last warm-up game prior to the start of the 2020 Gold Cup.
For this game the coach of the Mexico national team, Gerado Martino, decided to rest Hirving Lozano, Andrés Guardado, Héctor Herrera and Guillermo Ochoa so they could get ready for the two tournaments they have coming up next month. Martino also wanted to give Alan Pulido and Henry Martín an opportunity to consolidate in the No 9 position.
Mexico didn’t generate enough plays
The most clear shot of the first half came in the 29th minute from Charly Rodríguez. The midfielder from Monterrey volleyed the ball from the edge of the box and it hit the post, just inches away from finding the back of the net.
The team managed by Gerardo Martino then lacked creativity in offense and Honduras’ defenders were able to hold them off. In the second hal Pulido had a good opportunity to give Mexico the victory, but his shot went just wide and the game ended in a scoreless draw after the 90 minutes.
Now the teams will have a little break before they resume camp ahead of the start of the 2020 Gold Cup on 10 July. It was also revealed during the broadcast that Ochoa, Martín and Luis Romo will join the Mexican Olympic team that is also set to start next month.
Te recomendamos en English
- EMMY AWARDS What's the difference between an Emmy and an Oscar award?
- US NEWS Body found in Wyoming fits the description of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito
- NFL Cleveland Browns safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. fined for a push
- NFL Kansas City Chiefs 35 vs Baltimore Ravens 36 summary: score, stats, and highlights | Week 2
- NFL The New Orleans Saints slump to defeat against Carolina Panthers
- NFL NY Jets QB Zach Wilson throws 4 interceptions in loss to Patriots