Euro 2020: Spain's options of making the last 16
Spain need to beat Slovakia on Wednesday to book their place in the next round. A draw would leave them dependent on results elsewhere.
Spain's chances of progressing to the last 16 of Euro 2020 were complicated by Saturday's 1-1 draw with Poland - the team's second draw in two outings which leaves them third in Group E on two points. It means that Luis Enrique's team need to beat Slovakia in the final group game on Wednesday if they are to make the next round of the tournament. We look at Spain's chances of remaining alive at Euro 2020:
The best case scenario
- If Spain beat Slovakia, they will automatically qualify for the last 16 as one of the top two teams in their group. If they manage to win their third and final group game, La Roja could end top of the group on five points if Sweden and Poland draw, if Spain win by two goals or more, or if Poland win. Spain will finish second if Sweden win, leaving the Scandinavians top on seven points with Spain behind then on five points - both would advance to the last 16.
If Spain don't win on Wednesday
- If Spain and Slovakia draw, they would be left depending on the results of the rest of the teams who finished third in their respective groups. The top two teams in each group plus the four best third-placed teams advance to the round of 16. A draw in Seville on Wednesday would leave La Roja on three points which might not be enough. Finland, Austria and Portugal are already on three points going into the final group games so Spain would need at least one of them to lose to have any chance of ending as one of the best third-placed teams.
- If Spain lose to Slovakia, they would be eliminated from the tournament, ending the group stage on two points. It would leave Slovakia on seven points, and Sweden with a minimum of four points - depending on what result they get against Poland in St Petersburg. If Sweden win, they will end on seven points, if they draw, they will finish second on five.
Te recomendamos en English
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Can Child Tax Credit payments affect my tax return in 2022?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Laurel Hubbard? Meet the transgender athlete breaking barriers at the Tokyo Olympics
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: JuVaughn Harrison, Jennifer Gadirova | medal count, results, today 1 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK California Golden State stimulus check: when is the new payment coming?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August