Euro 2021: how many third place teams qualify?
16 sides from the original 24 will progress to the next stage of Euro 2020 as the final match-days in each group take place this week.
24 sides came into the competition when Euro 2020 kicked-off in Rome on 11 June with Italy facing Turkey in the opening match in Rome.
With over ten days of intense match-day action with a series of two-three games being played each day, we've reached the point of the competition where we learn which nations will progress to the round of 16.
The new 24 team format has had its detractors arguing that 36 games to eliminate 8 teams is somewhat excessive but the quality at Euro 2020 in the group stage has been arguably higher than what we witnessed at Euro 2016.
Euro 2020 progression
Qualifying for the next stage of the tournament will see all first and second placed teams from all six groups advance to the round of 16. Those 12 sides will be accompanied by four best third placed finishers.
There are six criteria points outlined by UEFA in determining which third placed sides advance with the clear and obvious factor being points accrued in the competition. Should teams be tied on points then goal difference and the goals scored will be used to separate sides. In the case that teams are still tied after using these mechanics, then higher number of wins and then disciplinary record at the competition are considered factors. In the highly unlikely event that teams are still tied, then their UEFA qualifying ranking status will be used to determine who advances.
Te recomendamos en English
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth
- SCIENCE NEWS When will the Sun die?
- NFL Odell Beckham Jr. close to return for Cleveland Browns
- NFL New York Jets' Zach Wilson reflects on his disastrous 'four interceptions' game
- NFL New York Giants' Nick Gates in good spirits while facing an uncertain future