Daei congratulates Ronaldo after star equals international goals record
Iran great Ali Daei took to social media to offer congratulations to Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portugal captain drew level with his 109-goal international haul.
Ali Daei has congratulated Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portugal captain equalled the Iranian's record for international goals scored in men's football.
Ronaldo's brace of penalties takes him level with Daei
Ronaldo scored twice from the penalty spot to move onto 109 goals for defending champions Portugal as they secured passage to the knockout stages of Euro 2020 with a 2-2 draw against France on Wednesday.
The 36-year-old Ronaldo now needs just one more goal to surpass Daei, who chalked up his remarkable tally for Iran between 1993 and 2006.
Daei says he'll be "honoured" to relinquish record to Portugal star
Daei was quick to mark the achievement on social media and predict that he will not jointly hold the record for long.
The 52-year-old wrote on Instagram: "Congratulations to @cristiano who is now one goal away from breaking the men’s international goalscoring record.
"I am honoured that this remarkable achievement will belong to Ronaldo - great champion of football and caring humanist who inspires and impacts lives throughout the world. Vamos!"
Last-16 tie against Belgium next up for Ronaldo's Portugal
Ronaldo's first opportunity to claim the outright lead will come when Portugal contest their last-16 tie on Sunday.
Having finished third behind France and Germany in Group F, Fernando Santos' side will take on Group B winners Belgium in Seville.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics: IOC apologize after Ukraine and ROC confusion
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GOLF Tokyo Olympics: USA star Korda sizzles in the heat while flirting with 59
- NFL Trey Lance bringing the best out of Jimmy Garoppolo at 49ers
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER Tokyo Olympics: Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd earn bronze for USA in thriller
- Tokyo Olympics Tokyo Olympics: Reaching the start line was a miracle – Johnson-Thompson explains injury fightback
- OLYMPIC GAMES How long is a Marathon? How far is it in miles?