Messi down €100,000 a day since Barça contract expired
According to L'Équipe, the Argentine star has been losing this sum of money since his contract with Barcelona expired on 30 June.
Since 1 July, Leo Messi has been without a team for the first time in his career. The Argentine, who plays tonight in the early hours of the morning in the final of the Copa America against Brazil, has yet to clarify his future and his future at Barcelona is still not confirmed. Messi is down €100,000 euros a day since his contract expired, as reported by L'Équipe.
Down €1 million in 10 days
The French newspaper has calculated Messi's salary by referring to the famous front page of 'El Mundo' last January, which stated that the former Barcelona player was earning €138.90 million gross per season, or €74.90 million net. L'Équipe claims that, if Messi and Barcelona had reached an agreement to reduce his salary from 1 July, the Argentine would have received €100,000 net per day, which is what he is not earning for not extending his contract, for the time being, with the Blaugrana.
With just over a month to go until the start of the season, Messi's future is still up in the air. Despite the losses he is currently making, none of the player's sponsors have threatened to break his contract if he does not stay at Barcelona. In Paris, for the moment, they are keeping a close eye on Messi's situation, and PSG could still make a bid.
Te recomendamos en English
- El Clásico Who is José María Sánchez Martínez, the referee for El Clásico 2021 Barcelona - Real Madrid?
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Real Madrid: injured and sanctioned players for El Clásico 2021
- Serie A Allegri dubs Inter title favourites ahead of Derby d'Italia
- NBA Nash cheers Nets first win: "It'll take a while, it won't be pretty"
- MLB Astros never doubted they would beat Red Sox admits Baker
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers