Euro 2020 final had the largest US audience in tournament's history
Roughly 6.4 million people in the United States saw the UEFA Euro 2020 final last weekend in which Italy defeated England 3-2 on penalties.
According to ESPN, Sunday’s final between Italy and England was the most-watched Euro match ever in the United States. Audience numbers peaked with 8,199,999 viewers during the penalty kicks, up 43 percent on the Euro 2016 final.
Sunday’s game also surpassed the previous record established in the Euro 2012 final between Spain and Italy and it became the most viewed soccer game in the country since July 2019. The average audience during this year's final was 6,488,000.
There were 51 games played during Euro 2020 and the average audience was 1,363,000, a 31 percent increase over the 2016 edition. The second most-watched game during Euro 2020 was the semifinal clash between England and Denmark.
Recommended in English
- BOXING WBC orders Tyson Fury to defend title against Dillian Whyte
- NFL How does Mac Jones' first year compare to Tom Brady's first year?
- NFL Washington's Fitzpatrick needs hip surgery, out rest of season
- NBA The NBA will restrict unvaccinated player travel
- NBA Who are the NBA's all-time leaders in triple-doubles?
- MLB Will Barry Bonds get into the MLB Hall of Fame? Why isn't he in already?