Columbus Crew will face Cruz Azul in the 2021 Campeones Cup
The Machine beat Club León 2-1 in the Campeón de Campeones Cup on Sunday, obtaining their ticket to face the current MLS title-holders on 29 September.
Cruz Azul left everything on the pitch at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday evening to beat Club León 2-1 in the final of the Campeón de Campeones. It was the first time they have won the trophy since 1974 and now they want to keep their title-winning streak against the current MLS Cup winner, Columbus Crew.
In search of their third straight title
With the win against León, Cruz Azul obtained their ticket to the 2021 Campeones Cup to face the Crew on 29 September at a location to be determined. This is the third edition of this competition and it is an annual North American association soccer game contested by the winners of the previous MLS Cup and the winners of the Campeón de Campeones from Liga MX.
The competition was established by the two leagues in 2018 as part of the growing partnership between both federations. The Campeones Cup is hosted by the Major League Soccer team and its format is similar to the Copa Sudamericana Championship in CONMEBOL.
In the inaugural edition, in September 2018, Toronto hosted Tigres UANL at the BMO Field and the Liga MX side won. In the second edition of the Campeones Cup, Atlanta United became the first MLS team to win it, after defeating Club América at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The 2020 edition was cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Te recomendamos en English
- Child Tax Credit Child Tax Credit 2021: when is the deadline to opt out from August payment?
- US NEWS What public pools are open in summer 2021 in Los Angeles?
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 28 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Why is Russia called ROC at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics?
- CORONAVIRUS What are the new CDC mask guidelines for schools?
- OLYMPICS USA played with freedom in bounce-back Iran victory – Kevin Durant