How is the MLS All-Star roster selected?
The MLS All-Stars take on their counterparts from LIGA MX in the 2021 MLS All-Star game on Wednesday 25 August at the Banc of California Stadium.
In the 25th edition of the event, the 2021 MLS All-Star Game will see the best players from the US league take on an All-Star side from the LIGA MX for the very first time.
The match, which was originally scheduled for July 2020 during the 2020 season but was postponed due to the covid-19 pandemic, will take place on August 25 at 9pm ET (6pm PT) at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles and will be broadcast live on FS1, Univision, TSN and TVA Sports.
MLS All-Star coach Bob Bradley will select his starting XI from a 28-man roster, which includes Mexican stars, LAFC’s Carlos Vela and Javier ‘Chicarito’ Hernandez of the LA Galaxy. There are eight US players on the MLS roster, including Gold Cup heroes Miles Robinson and Matt Turner, LAFC’s Julain Araujo, NYFC’s James Sands, FC Dallas forward Ricardo Pepi, and Cristain Roldan of the Seattle Sounders.
How is the MLS All-Star team selected
Bradley has selected 13 of the players for the roster, while 13 players were etermined by a combined vote of fan, media and players, and the final two player are chosen by MLS Commissioner Don Garber.
Players, fans and reporters cast their votes for 11 players. The top player in each position from the combined vote was named an All-Star. The twelfth and thirteenth players voted in were the next-highest amount of votes overall (fans, media and players).
The 2021 MLS All-Star roster
13 players selected by Bob Bradley
- Matt Turner (Goalkeeper, New England Revolution)
- Julian Araujo (Defender, LA Galaxy)
- Jesus David Murillo (Defender, LAFC)
- Miles Robinson (Defender, Atlanta United)
- James Sands (Defender, NYFC)
- Kai Wagner (Defender, Philadelphia Union),
- Eduard Atuesta (Midfielder, LAFC)
- Damir Kreilach (Midfielder, Real Salt Lake)
- Emanuel Reynoso (Midfielder, Minnesota United)
- Gustavo Bou (Forward, New England Revolution)
- Ricardo Pepi (Forward, FC Dallas),
- Diego Rossi (Forward, LAFC)
- Dániel Sallói (Forward, Sporting Kansas City)
13 players chosen by vote
- Pedro Gallese (Goalkeeper, Orlando City)
- Walker Zimmerman (Defender, Nashville SC)
- Yeimar (Defender, Seattle Sounders)
- Alex Roldan (Defender, Seatlle Sounders)
- Nouhou (Defender, Seattle Sounders)
- Lucas Zelarayán (Midfielder, Columbus Crew)
- Cristian Roldan (Midfielder, Seattle Sounders)
- Joao Paulo (Midfielder, Seattle Sounders)
- Carles Gil (Midfielder, New England Revolution)
- Carlos Vela (Forward, LAFC)
- Raúl Ruidíaz (Forward, Seattle Sounders)
- Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez (Forward, LA Galaxy)
- Nani (Forward, Orlando City)
Two players selected by Don Garber
- Tajon Buchanan (Forward, New England Revolution)
- Cade Cowell (Forward, San Jose Earthquakes)
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO Barcelona vs Real Madrid possible starting line-ups
- SOCCER Barcelona's Piqué talks to El País about retirement, Messi, Clásico
- PREMIER LEAGUE Cristiano Ronaldo vows to silence critics and win trophies at Manchester United
- LIGUE 1 Marseille vs PSG: times, TV and how to watch online
- MLB Dodgers vs. Braves commentary, scores, stats and updates: Championship Series
- WORLD NEWS La Palma volcano, live updates today: eruption, tsunami warning and latest news | Canary Islands