Cristiano Ronaldo will wear Man Utd number 7 after Cavani gesture
The Portuguese star will wear the legendary number that he wore in his first period at the English club, keeping brand CR7 strong. Cavani takes 21.
Cristiano Ronaldo will wear Manchester United's famous number seven shirt once again following his return to Old Trafford, the Premier League club said on Thursday. This in itself is unprecedented as the league has had to grant special permission for the number to change player after the season has started.
You may also like:
Ronaldo still CR7
The 36-year-old Portuguese forward spent six seasons at United between 2003-09, winning eight major trophies, and rejoined them this week from Juventus on a two-year deal. Ronaldo donned the number seven shirt during his first stint at the club, following in the footsteps of great United players including George Best, Bryan Robson, Eric Cantona and David Beckham. United striker Edinson Cavani, who wore number seven last season and in the 1-0 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers on Sunday, will switch to 21 - the number he wears on international duty for Uruguay.
'I wasn't sure if it would be possible to have the number seven shirt again, so I would like to say a huge thank you to Edi for this incredible gesture,' Ronaldo said on United's Twitter feed.
Ronaldo could make his second debut for the club when they host Newcastle United in the Premier League on 11 September following the international break. And his participation for Portugal has been brought to a premature end after his shirtless celebration on Wednesday saw him booked and therefore suspended.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NFL Who are the NFL's All-Time passing yards and Touchdown leaders?
- Fati: Inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt does not bring added pressure at Barca
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries