Brais Méndez called up by Spain to replace injured Pedri
Spain coach Luis Enrique has selected the Celta Vigo midfielder to fill the vacant place in his squad left by injury-hit Pedri González.
Celta Vigo midfielder Brais Méndez has been called up by Spain coach Luis Enrique to take the place of Pedri González for the upcoming international fixtures, the national team web site confirmed on Friday.
Long summer for Pedri
The Barcelona star, who had only just returned to the squad list after missing last month's international commitments due to his participation for Spain at Euro 2020 and the Tokyo Olympics during the summer, has suffered a thigh muscle injury which means he is unavailable for Spain who will take part in Nations League's Final Four next week.
🔴 OFICIAL | Brais Méndez sustituye a @Pedri, lesionado, en la convocatoria de @Sefutbol.— Selección Española de Fútbol (@SeFutbol) October 1, 2021
👥 @LUISENRIQUE21 cita al jugador del @RCCelta para la Final Four de la #NationsLeague.
ℹ️ https://t.co/nP1v8yfdvt#VamosEspaña pic.twitter.com/wTbOUj4eAf
Luis Enrique has brought in Brais Méndez as a direct replacement for Pedri. The 24-year-old was handed his first call-up for the senior side back in August for the 2022 World Cup Qatar qualifiers against Sweden, Georgia and Kosovo, and played in the first two matches.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash