Despite no post season action, LA Angels win big on social media
The LA franchise fell short in their quest to make the play-offs but thanks to the Shohei Ohtani impact, the team enjoyed the biggest increase in new social media followers.
The MLB play-offs are in full swing with the 'City of Angels' represented by current champions LA Dodgers. The city's other franchise LA Angels can take some slight comfort knowing that over the course of the regular season, the Angels acquired more new followers across their multiple social media platforms more than any other team in the league with many new fans coming from Japan after the 2021 boom of Oshu (Japan) born Shohei (Sho-time) Ohtani.
The Angels Ohtani effect
Shohei Ohtani has proved this year that the hype ahead of his MLB debut in 2018 was not overblown but, while the Japanese two-way standout has arrived as a must-see player.
The 27-year-old Ohtani, because of his ability to pitch and hit at an elite level, has long been compared to Babe Ruth, who died in 1948 aged 53 and is still considered by many to be the best baseball player of all time.
The thing with Ohtani right now is he is a performance brand, he is not a personal brand," Ken Wong, marketing professor at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, claimed earlier in the year adding, "No-one has established what he's about yet and that's really where his greatest opportunity lies if he can take his performance on the field and extend that into personal characteristics."
In data provided earlier this week by Conviva, the 30 MLB franchises now top more than 124 million social followers across Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube as of the beginning of October. Facebook had the biggest share of MLB audience with 45 per cent, followed by Twitter (30 per cent) and then Instagram (23 per cent).
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check Update: what's the situation in every state?
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- US NEWS Camera crew walk-off in the hours before Alec Baldwin fatally shot Halyna Hutchins
- US NEWS What states saw the highest number of workers quit this summer?