Barcelona's Araújo suffers hamstring injury with Uruguay
The 22-year-old defender was substituted in the second half of the 3-0 loss to Argentina and complained of soreness in his thigh.
Uruguay and Barcelona centre back Ronald Araújo has suffered a hamstring injury that will rule him out of Thursday's World Cup qualifier against Brazil, the country's football association (AUF) said on Tuesday.
The 22-year-old defender was substituted in the second half of the 3-0 loss to Argentina and complained of soreness in his thigh, with a scan on Monday revealing an issue with his hamstring.
Uruguay occupy the fourth and final automatic qualification spot - one point ahead of Colombia - with seven rounds left to play.
Tests carried out by the Uruguayan Football Association's medical department have confirmed that Ronald Araujo picked up a right hamstring injury during the match against Argentina on Sunday.— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) October 12, 2021
More details 👉 https://t.co/r6aTBS0rRG pic.twitter.com/Hx53w862tX
Araújo a doubt for El Clásico
Araújo will return to his club Barcelona where he will be assessed ahead of a crucial run of fixtures which include home league games against Valencia and Real Madrid as well as a Champions League group match against Dynamo Kyiv.
Araújo being sidelined would be a blow to Barcelona who have struggled this season under Ronald Koeman and sit ninth in LaLiga and bottom of their Champions League group without a point.
Barcelona injury boost
Barça were handed an injury boost, however, when forwards Ousmane Dembélé and Sergio Agüero returned to training on Monday following long injury layoffs but they still need to be given the medical all-clear to be available for selection.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth Stimulus Check Update: what's the situation in every state?
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- US NEWS Camera crew walk-off in the hours before Alec Baldwin fatally shot Halyna Hutchins
- US NEWS What states saw the highest number of workers quit this summer?