NewslettersSign inAPP
españaESPAÑAargentinaARGENTINAchileCHILEcolombiaCOLOMBIAusaUSAméxicoMÉXICOperúPERÚusa latinoUSA LATINOaméricaAMÉRICA

Vikings' Everson Griffen cooperates with police

After an hours long stand off with police, the Vikings' defensive end agree to leave his home and is now receiving care.

Vikings defensive end EVerson Griffen has finally left his home after a stand off with police. There was no altercation and he is now receiving care.

After a stand off with Police, Everson Griffen has finally agreed to leave his home and is now receiving care.

Everson Griffen cooperates with police

In a statement released on Wednesday afternoon by the Minnesota Vikings, the team advised that they had been informed by law enforcement agencies that defensive end Everson Griffen had finally exited his home "without incident and is now getting the care that he needs." The news came after Everson made a series of disturbing Instagram posts in the early hours of Wednesday morning, saying that someone was in his home trying to kill him.

"We are thankful to the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office, the Carver County Sheriff's Office, the Minnetrista Police Department and the Orono Police Department for their quick response and dedication to ensuring the situation ended peacefully," the Vikings' statement read. "Our focus remains on Everson's health and safety and providing the proper resources for him and his family."

Griffen is getting help

According to a statement from the Minnetrista Public Safety Department, Griffen left the house at approximately 2:30 p.m. ET and was then transported in an ambulance to a health care facility. Responding to questions on the situation Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said, "We got him the necessary help that he needs and (he's) in care of medical professionals."

For more from the NFL

What exactly happened to Everson Griffen?

Earlier on Wednesday it was reported by the Minnetrista Public Safety Department that Griffen called 911 after 3 a.m. Wednesday from his home and said someone was inside his home and he required assistance from authorities. Griffen also told the 911 dispatcher that he fired a weapon but that no one was injured. According to report, law enforcement and Vikings team psychologists were in communication with Griffen from approximately 7 a.m. but Griffen had refused to come out of his residence for hours. Police also stated there was no sign of an intruder at Griffen's residence.

Vikings' Dalvin Cook worries for his 'brother'

In the early hours of Wednesday morning, Griffen made several Instagram posts, all of which have since been deleted, including a video that appeared to show Griffen inside his home with a gun, which he said belonged to him. "I'm in my house. N----- trying to pop me," Griffen said in the video. "I've still got clips left. This is my gun, .45 Wilson Combat, registered to me. I bought all my bullets around town. Dalvin Cook helped me purchase this gun. It all belongs to me, and they are registered to me. I know exactly where I bought them. I've got the card I have them on. I have everything."

Cook - a running back for the Vikings - who was later contacted for a statement, said that he did not know why Griffen mentioned him in the video and that he called the Vikings' player but got no answer. "Since I got here, he was one of the older guys that took me under his wings and taught me, 'This is what you don't do, this is how you do it, this is how you take care of your body,'" Cook said. "Just how to be a pro. Appreciate him for that, for the little things he did. Since he got back, our relationship has gotten stronger. He's been trying to win games. We've been on the same mission, all of us, just trying to win games, trying to get better, trying to lead this team in the right way. So we are definitely close. That's my brother. I just want him to be OK. In his mind, make sure his family is OK. I just want what's best for Everson overall."

Vikings' only concern is Griffen's well-being

Questioned about Griffen's status in the team heading into week 12 away to San Francisco, Vikings coach Mike Zimmer was clear about where his thoughts were. "No, that's really not our concern right now, It's really about him." Of course this is not the first time that Griffen's mental health has drawn public attention. Griffen stepped away from the game for a month during the 2018 season, citing a need to focus on his health and well-being. The announcement came after he had been ordered by the team to undergo a mental health evaluation subsequent to two incidents which involved the police as well as Griffen being hospitalized. He would later describe the period as a "rough year."

"We're only concerned about his well-being," Zimmer said. "He's been with us for a long time. Good guy. Works hard," Zimmer added.


To be able to comment you must be registered and logged in. Forgot password?